Codename : Westfort Pig Dog IPA
Doing an English IPA has been in the pipeline for a while now, this will will be dry hopped. The clever name is an hommage to Monty Python’s “Holy Grail”, the exchange between the French sentry and King Arthur. 🇫🇷💨🏴
- 2 lbs Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 2.5 oz Rye malt (3.5L)
- 2 oz Amber malt (38L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (30L)
- 2 oz Munich malt (9L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 60 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp yeast nutrients (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Cascade hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 0.20 oz Northdown hops, dry hop after 2 days
- 0.20 oz Northdown hops, dry hop after 4 days
- 4 ml Fermentis S-04 English Ale yeast
Anticipated ABV : 6.0%
Anticipated IBU : 50
Anticipated SRM : 10
Target OG : 1.061
Pre-boil SG : 1.041
Target FG : 1,015
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
- Prepare 7.7L strike water, 159F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152 F.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops, yeast nutrient and Irish Moss as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- Dry hop as prescribed above
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 24g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 4 weeks. You can crack one open early, but you might be disappointed. You have been warned.
- Pre-boil gravity was achieved, post boil gravity 1.062, potential ABV of 6.2%
Brew day : 12-Nov-2022
Bottling day : 19-Nov-2022