Codename : Westfort Oatmeal Stouthorpe
Doing basic oatmeal stout, but used a bit of a helter-skelter of speciality malts to use up old stock. Trying something out of the ordinary, instead of doing a usual 60 minute boil, brought it down to 30 minutes. I think I nailed it.
- 1 lbs 10 oz Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 3 oz Oatmeal
- 2 oz Roasted barley (488L)
- 1 oz Amber malt (38L)
- 1 oz Black malt (450L)
- 1 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 1 oz Torrified wheat (2.5L)
- 0.20 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 3 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast
BJCP Style : Oatmeal Stout
Anticipated ABV : 5.1%
Anticipated IBU : 38
Anticipated SRM : 31
Pre-boil SG : 1.042
Original SG : 1.052
Target SG : 1,013
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
- Prepare 6.5L strike water, 159F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152 F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish Moss as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Pitch yeast to the carboy
- Transfer wort to the carboy.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7-14 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.6 oz corn sugar
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- Pre-boil gravity was 1.045, post boil gravity 1.061, much higher than expected.
- Added 400 ml (100 ml at a time, with measurements in between) to bring it to 1.053. This still gives an anticipated 5.1% ABV.
- The fact two batches in a row 400 ml has been added give me a clue to increase my start water.
Brew day : 1-Dec-2022
Bottling day : 16-Dec-2022