Codename : Westfort Yorkshire Bitterthorpe
This is another recipe from Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes. I scaled it down from the original 5 gallon recipe. As I was preparing the malt, I adjusted some of the proportions on the fly to use up old ingredients. This one becomes part of my helter-skelter series. I also scaled it up a little, with the anticipation of of 4.6L upon completion.The larger carboy will be needed.
- 1 lb 4.5 oz Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 5 oz Torrified wheat (1,5L)
- 3.2 oz Crystal medium (67L)
- 0.1 oz Chocolate malt (444L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.30 oz East Kent Golding hops at 10 minutes
- 0.30 oz East Kent Golding hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 0 minutes
- 2 ml London dry ale yeast
BJCP Style : Ordinary Bitter
Anticipated ABV : 3.7%
Anticipated IBU : 30
Anticipated SRM : 12
Pre-boil SG : 1.030
Original SG : 1.038
Target SG : 1,010
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- If you don’t want to do the mash steps, do the whole mash at 152F for 75 minutes, then skip to the part about lifting the bag out.
- Prepare 7L strike water, 122F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 122F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Raise the temperature to 145F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 158F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 10-14 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.7 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- All gravities were achieved
Brew day : 16-Jan-2023
Bottling day : 27-Jan-2023