Codename : Mountain Portage Mosquito Swarm Alethorpe
I first brewed an iteration of this beer a year ago as Golden Slumbers, it was my intent call it the 2023 variation, until I was eaten alive by mosquitoes while brewing, so on the fly, this one was renamed. I recently acquired Sasquatch hops, it seemed fitting to use them while in the heart of the the Mountain Portage.
- 1 lb 4 oz Golden Promise pale malt (2.4L)
- 1 oz Munich dark malt (9.9L)
- 2.5 oz white sugar
- 0.2 oz Sasquatch hops at 30 minutes
- 0.1 oz Sasquatch hops at 15 minutes
- 1/4 tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 2 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast.
BJCP Style : British Golden Ale
Anticipated ABV : 4.2%
Anticipated IBU : 24
Anticipated SRM : 4
Pre-boil SG : 1.026
Original SG : 1.041
Target SG : 1.009
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- Prepare 6.1L strike water, 158F.
- Add the milled grains and sugar to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 158F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.7 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 2 weeks.
- Gravity readings were 1.027 & 1.043, this will an anticipated ABV of 4.3%
- I used the burner once before, I may need to tweak the water requirements, as it burns a little hotter than the stove-top.
Brew day : 1-Jun-2023
Bottling day :