Codename : Mountain Portage Dark Mildthorpe
Keeping with the theme of British style ales, this is a simple low gravity beer, commonly referred to as a session ale. I decided to do this with just a single hop throughout the boil.
- 1 lb 5 oz Maris Otter malt
- 1 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 0.7 oz Black malt (625L)
- 0.10 oz East Kent Golding hops at 60 minutes
- 0.10 oz East Kent Golding hops at 15 minutes
- 0.10 oz East Kent Golding hops at 10 minutes
- ¼ Whirlfloc tablet (optional) at 10 minutes
- 0.10 oz East Kent Golding hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Nottingham ale yeast
Anticipated IBU : 19
Anticipated ABV : 3.4%
Target OG : 1.035
Target FG : 1,009
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
Prepare 6L strike water, 154F
Add the milled grains to the bag.
Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 149 F. Looking for SG 1.027.
Calibrate the sonic screwdriver. It once again went out of alignment, so always a step to remember.
Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
Bring wort up to 205F.
Set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops and Whirfloc as prescribed above. Looking for SG 1.037.
Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
Prepare yeast mixture.
Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 14-21 days.
Sanitise everything required for bottling.
Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
Prepare 19g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 4 weeks. The tradition of this style is to consume it unaged, so feel free to crack one open ahead of schedule.
- Pre-boil SG 1.027, Post-boil SG 1.032
- This recipe was adjusted on the fly, instead of packing the dark malt for the trip, I brought black malt. Ergo the 0.7 oz, as I wanted/needed to keep within style guidelines.
Tasting Notes to follow
Brew day : 14-Jul-2022
Bottling day : 30-Jul-2022
NFT : to follow