Codename : Mountain Portage Red Alethorpe
Switching to a different part of the isles, this ale selection focuses on an Irish style red ale.
- 1 lb 7 oz Maris Otter malt
- 2 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (30L)
- 1 oz Rye malt
- 0.10 oz Northdown hops at 60 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 10 minutes
- ¼ Whirlfloc tablet (optional) at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 4 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Nottingham ale yeast
Anticipated IBU : 23
Anticipated ABV : 4.2%
Target OG : 1.043
Target FG : 1,011
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
Prepare 6L strike water, 154F
Add the milled grains to the bag.
Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 149 F. Looking for SG 1.034.
Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
Bring wort up to 205F.
Set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops and Whirfloc as prescribed above. Looking for SG 1.043.
Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
Prepare yeast mixture.
Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 7 days. (Trying a shorter duration for this batch)
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 19g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 4 weeks.
- FG of 1.045
Brew day : 30-Jul-2022
Bottling day :