Codename : Westfort Hey Porterthorpe
Having had some good success with my last English porters, it was time to try an American porter, enriched with some fresh ground coffee. The name is inspired by the song Hey Porter by the amazing Johnny Cash.
- 1 lb 13 oz Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 3 oz Oatmeal (1,8L)
- 2 oz Chocolate malt (360L)
- 2 oz Crystal medium (67L)
- 1 oz Brown malt (55L)
- 1 oz Roasted barley (488L)
- 0.30 oz East Kent Golding hops at 30 minutes
- 0.30 oz East Kent Golding hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz East Kent Golding hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 25 g fresh ground coffee at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast
BJCP Style : American Porter
Anticipated ABV : 6.2%
Anticipated IBU : 40
Anticipated SRM : 32
Pre-boil SG : 1.050
Original SG : 1.063
Target SG : 1,016
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- If you don’t want to do the mash steps, do the whole mash at 152F for 75 minutes, then skip to the part about lifting the bag out.
- Prepare 6.3L strike water, 122F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 122F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver. (It was out of alignment today)
- Raise the temperature to 145F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 158F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 10-14 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.75 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 6 weeks.
- Pre-boil gravity was 1.050, as hoped for.
- Post boil gravity was 1.060, just shy of what was expected, but it will not affect the final ABV.
Brew day : 12-Jan-2023