Codename : Maple Oatmeal Stouthorpe
Trying a variation on the honey, doing with a maple for this batch.
- 1 Lb 4 oz 2 Row Barley malt
- 7 oz rolled oats
- 4 oz roasted barley 300L
- 2 oz caramel malt 120L
- 2 oz dark munich malt 8L
- 0.1 oz Centennial hops at 60 minutes
- 2 oz Maple syrup at 20 minutes
- 0.1 oz Challenger hops at 15 minutes
- 0.1 oz Challenger hops at 10 minutes
- ¼ Whirlfloc tablet at 10 minutes (optional)
- 0.1 Challenger hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml Nottingham Ale dry yeast
Anticipated IBU : 34
Anticipated ABV : 5.6%
Target OG : 1.055
Target FG : 1.012
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
- Prepare 8.5L strike water, 154F.
- Add the grains to the bag.
- Calibrate sonic screwdriver.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 149 F. Looking for a minimum SG 1.027
- Lift the bag out, allow it to drip into the pot. Capturing every bit of potential sugar is good.
- Bring wort up to 212F to boil for 10 minutes, then bring down to 205-210 F.
- Set the timer for 90 minutes. Add hops, maple syrup, Whirlfloc hot chocolate and coffee at the prescribed times above. Looking for a minimum SG 1.052
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively. (Switched to ice bath, snow is finally gone)
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 14-21 days.
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 24g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 3-4 weeks.
- Pre-boil SG, 1.026, post-boil SG, 1.050.
This has most of the stout characteristics. The maple syrup made it a little sweeter than I prefer, but it was within tolerance.
Brew day : 17-Apr-2022
Bottling day : 31-May-2022