Codename : Westfort Specialty IPA Redemption
My previous attempt at this was a brew fail. I didn’t get the sugar to alcohol conversion, nor did I hit the IBU taste one looks for in an IPA. This is yet another one in my redemption series. Just to prove I can do it right!
- 1 lb 14 oz Pearl pale malt (2.8L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 2 oz Crystal medium (67L)
- 1 oz Chocolate malt (300L)
- 1 oz Rye malt (3.5L)
- 0.20 oz Chinook hops at 30 minutes
- 2 oz Turbinado sugar at 20 minutes
- 0.20 oz Chinook hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.30 oz Willemette hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 4 ml SafAle English yeast
- 0.2 Cascade hops after 4 days
- 0.2 Cascade hops after 6 days
- 0.2 Cascade hops after 8 days
BJCP Style : Specialty IPA
Anticipated ABV : 6.3%
Anticipated IBU : 71
Anticipated SRM : 20
Pre-boil SG : 1.045
Original SG : 1.051
Target SG : 1,013
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- If you don’t want to do the mash steps, do the whole mash at 152F for 75 minutes, then skip to the part about lifting the bag out.
- Prepare 6.2L strike water, 122F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 122F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Raise the temperature to 145F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 158F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops, turbinado and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 14 days.
- Dry hop as prescribed above.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- It wasn’t until boil off was complete that I realised, there was more wort than expected. I likely added about 200 ml of water by not paying attention
- Final gravity was 1.058, this should bring us in at 6% ABV. A little lower than anticipated, but not worth declaring a fail.
Brew day : 18-February-2023
Bottling day :