Codename : Mountain Portage Black IPA Redemption
Next up in the redemption series, the first attempt at this one was an abysmal failure, so I updated the recipe and had a do-over, hopefully with much better success. Since I did not have enough base malts to complete this one, so I combined some base malts, thereby adding this one to the helter-skelter series.
- 1 lb 9 oz Golden Promise pale malt (2.4L)
- 6 oz Pearl pale malt (2.8L)
- 2 oz oatmeal
- 2 oz Roasted barley (400L)
- 2 oz white sugar
- 1.5 oz Black malt (450L)
- 1 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 1 oz Rye malt (3.5l)
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 30 minutes
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 20 minutes
- 1/4 tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 10 minutes
- 5 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast.
BJCP Style : Black IPA
Anticipated ABV : 6.8%
Anticipated IBU : 73
Anticipated SRM : 34
Pre-boil SG : 1.048
Original SG : 1.067
Target SG : 1.015
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- Prepare 6.3L strike water, 152F.
- Add the milled grains and sugar to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- Ready to drink after 2 weeks.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- The mash in took 90 minutes to reach the pre-boil gravity I was looking for. Really not sure why.
- Gravity readings, 1.046 & 1.063. This will give an estimated ABV of 6.7%
Brew day : 8-Jun-2023
Bottling day :