Codename : Mountain Portage Cream Alethorpe
For those who remember a bygone era of Kakabeka Cream Ale, this is not an attempt to emulate it, but rather pay hommage to the name by brewing a cream ale here at the Mountain Portage.
- 1 lb 10 oz Golden Promise pale malt (2.4L)
- 2 oz white sugar
- 0.1 oz Sasquatch hops at 30 minutes
- 0.1 oz Sasquatch hops at 15 minutes
- 1/4 tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 2 ml Nottingham dry ale yeast.
BJCP Style : Cream Ale
Anticipated ABV : 5.1%
Anticipated IBU : 14
Anticipated SRM : 4
Pre-boil SG : 1.033
Original SG : 1.048
Target SG : 1.009
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- Prepare 6.1L strike water, 152F.
- Add the milled grains and sugar to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 2 weeks.
- Gravity readings were met, 5.1% ABV expected.
Brew day : 2-Jun-2023
Bottling day :