Codename : Mountain Portage Red IPA
The Red IPA, completes my IPA series for the summer of 2023. As I was running low on base malt, I substituted in some pilsner malt to round out the grain bill, thereby including this one to the helter-skelter series.
- 1 lb Pearl pale malt (2.8L)
- 10 oz Pilsner malt (2L)
- 2 oz Amber malt (28L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (30L)
- 3 oz oatmeal
- 2 oz Chocolate malt (300L)
- 2 oz Rye malt (3.5L)
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 30 minutes
- 0.1 oz Chinook hops at 20 minutes
- 2 oz white sugar at 20 minutes
- 1/4 tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 10 minutes
- 4 ml Safale S-04 dry ale yeast.
BJCP Style : Red IPA
Anticipated ABV : 6.0%
Anticipated IBU : 52
Anticipated SRM : 13
Pre-boil SG : 1.040
Original SG : 1.058
Target SG : 1.012
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
- Prepare 6.6L strike water, 152F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops sugar, and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- Gravity was reached, anticipated ABV of 6.0% anticipated
Brew day : 3-Aug-2023