Codename : Mountain Portage Brown IPA
Adding brown to the portfolio, this IPA, this one adds to the IPA series for the summer of 2023.
- 1 lb 10 oz Pearl pale malt (2.8L)
- 3 oz Caramel malt (120L)
- 3 oz oatmeal
- 2 oz Chocolate malt (300L)
- 2 oz Brown malt (55L}
- 2 oz Rye malt (3.5L)
- 1 oz Peated malt (1.5L)
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 30 minutes
- 0.1 oz Chinook hops at 20 minutes
- 2 oz Turbinado sugar at 20 minutes
- 1/4 tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.2 oz Chinook hops at 10 minutes
- 4 ml Safale S-04 dry ale yeast.
- 3 g toasted oak after 3 days (when active fermentation has subsided)
BJCP Style : Brown IPA
Anticipated ABV : 6.7%
Anticipated IBU : 59
Anticipated SRM : 27
Pre-boil SG : 1.046
Original SG : 1.066
Target SG : 1.015
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- Prepare 6.5L strike water, 152F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops sugar, and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 7-10 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- Gravities were made, anticipated 6.7% ABV
Brew day : 30-Jun-2023
Bottling day :