Codename : Westfort Export Stouthorpe
In my ongoing attempts to brew more stouts, and try more stout styles, I have arrived on a foreign extra stout. In the older British tradition it was brewed a little stronger for the export market, and tended to be a little hoppier.
- 2 lbs 7 oz Maris Otter malt (3.8L)
- 2 oz Torrified wheat (2.4L)
- 2 oz Chocolate malt (360L)
- 2 oz Roasted barley (488L)
- 0.30 oz Cascade hops at 60 minutes
- 1 oz corn sugar at 20 minutes
- 0.30 oz Willemette hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp yeast nutrients (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 5 ml Nottingham ale yeast
BJCP Style : Foreign Extra Stout
Anticipated ABV : 7.0%
Anticipated IBU : 66
Anticipated SRM : 35
Target OG : 1.070
Pre-boil SG : 1.045
Target FG : 1,017
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 65%
- Prepare 7.8L strike water, 159F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 152 F.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 60 minutes. Add hops, corn sugar, yeast nutrient and Irish Moss as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare yeast mixture.
- Add wort to the jug. Pitch yeast.
- Store in a cool place for primary fermentation for 14-21 days.
- Sanitise everything required for bottling.
- Transfer from carboy to bottling pot.
- Prepare 24g corn sugar with enough hot water to dissolve it. Add to pot.
- Preferably conduct bottle conditioning for at least 4 weeks. You can crack one open early, but you might be disappointed. You have been warned.
- Pre-boil gravity was achieved, post boil gravity 1.072, potential ABV of 7.2%
Brew day : 18-Nov-2022
Bottling day : 2-Dec-2022