Codename : Spent Grain Flour
Previously I had baked with the spent grain, going to mix it up by taking that wet spent grain, dry it out, and grind it into flour. This method utilises a dehydrator.
- At least 4 cups of spent grain (4 cups should get you about 1 cup of finished product)
- Line the trays with paper towel or baking paper, else the grain will fall though.
- Scoop the grain onto the paper, approximately 1/4″ or 1 cm thick.
- Stack the trays, following your manufacturers recommendations.
- Set the dehydrator at 105F for 12 hours, overnight worked well.
- Allow the dried grain to cool to room temperature.
- You will know it is done, from the golden colour, and crispy texture.
- (You can skip this step, I did not find it as useful as I thought), grind the dried grain through your grain mill. What came out was more in the consistency of wheat bran, not quite flour.
- Put the grain in your food processor and pulse it until you have a flour consistency.
This batch of flour was made from my recent best bitter beer.