Codename : Westfort Ryetirement Oatmeal Stout
The second in my Ryetirement series, building on what has become my cornerstone beer, an oatmeal stout.
- 1 lb 8 oz Pearl pale malt (2.8L)
- 3 oz Rye malt (3.5L)
- 3 oz Oatmeal
- 2 oz Caraaroma malt (130L)
- 2 oz Carafa Special III (525L)
- 1 oz Chocolate malt (350L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 10 minutes
- 0.20 oz Willemette hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 3 ml Nottingham dry yeast
BJCP Style : Oatmeal Stout
Anticipated ABV : 5.5%
Anticipated IBU : 32
Anticipated SRM : 35
Pre-boil SG : 1.044
Original SG : 1.056
Target SG : 1,014
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- If you don’t want to do the mash steps, do the whole mash at 152F for 75 minutes, then skip to the part about lifting the bag out.
- Prepare 6.2L strike water, 122F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 122F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Raise the temperature to 145F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 158F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 14-21 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- Gravity measurements, 1.042 & 1.053. This will give an anticipated ABV 5.3%.
Brew day : 17-April-2023
Bottling day :