Codename : Westfort Bière Outrageant Redux
My first attempt at this beer, mistakes were made, fortunately nothing I would consider a brew-fail as I mostly recovered on the fly. I liked the taste of the final product, so I was determined to do it again, but do it right.
A little bit about the style
Calling this a farmhouse beer invites comparisons to Saison, which has a completely different balance – Bière de Garde is malty and smooth, while Saison is hoppy and bitter. Actually has more of a similarity in malt profile to a Bock.
- 1 lb 12 oz Pilsner malt (2L)
- 6 oz Munich maltt (5L)
- 2 oz Amber malt (28L)
- 2 oz Caramel malt (30L)
- 0.5 oz Crystal medium malt (67L)
- 2 oz Belgian Candi Sugar (17L)
- 1/4 Campden tablet when preparing strike water (optional)
- 0.2 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes
- 1/4 tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.2 Cascade hops at 5 minutes
- 5 ml French Saison dry ale yeast.
BJCP Style : Bière de Garde
Anticipated ABV : 7.2%
Anticipated IBU : 22
Anticipated SRM : 13
Pre-boil SG : 1.059
Post-boil SG : 1.089
Original SG : 1.065
Target SG : 1.010
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 70%
- Prepare 5.5L strike water at 158F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 75 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 158F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops, candi sugar and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy.
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Add one litre of water for the top-up to the carboy.
- Put the airlock on the carboy.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 10-14 days.
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.7 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 6 weeks.
- Needed 90 minutes of mashing to achieve the pre-boil gravity, all other measurements were made, 7.2% ABV anticipated.
Brew day : 16-Oct-2023