Codename : Spent Grain Bread
Once the beer has been brewed, what does one do with the spent grain? Try baking bread!
Recipe Inspiration : https://www.food.com/recipe/spent-grain-beer-bread-417899
- 3 C Spent grain
- 1 Tbsp traditional yeast
- 1.5 cups of tepid water
- 1/3 cup of white sugar (you can also you brown sugar)
- 3-4 C white flour (if you don’t have spent grain flour, you can substitute an extra cup of white flour)
- 1 C spent grain flour
- dash of salt (optional, but recommended)
- Prepare yeast/water/sugar, once you see a good kreusen, continue.
- Add the spent grain to the mixing bowl, add the proofed yeast mixture, commence mixing.
- Add spent grain flour and white flour up to 3 cups, mix thoroughly. If the dough is still sticky, slowly add more flour until it is smooth.
- Knead the dough, form into a ball and place it in a large bowl.
- Cover it with a towel and wait for it to double in size (approximately one hour, there are other factors to consider)
- Sprinkle a small amount of cornmeal onto a cookie sheet.
- Punch down the dough, cut it in half.
- Form two loaves onto the cookie sheet, score the top with an X.
- Cover the loaves with a towel and wait for them to double in size, (approximately one hour, there are other factors to consider)
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow the bread to cool on racks before serving.