Codename : Westfort St. Paddy’s Extra Stouthorpe
In anticipation of St. Patrick’s Day, I am putting together something to celebrate the Emerald Isle. To try something a little different, this one will be dry hopped, I updated this recipe on the fly to use up some old stock, so this one becomes part of my helter-skelter series.
- 1 lb 13 oz Pearl pale malt (2.8L)
- 2.1 oz Roasted Barley (400L)
- 1.7 oz Chocolate malt (360L)
- 1 oz Pale chocolate (225L)
- 1 oz Torrified wheat (1.5L)
- 0.10 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes
- 1 oz White sugar at 20 minutes
- 0.20 oz Cascade hops at 15 minutes
- ¼ tsp Irish Moss (optional) at 15 minutes
- 0.20 oz Cascade hops at 10 minutes
- 0.30 oz Fuggle hops at 5 minutes
- 0.20 oz Fuggle hops at 0 minutes
- 2 ml London dry ale yeast
- 0.30 oz Northdown hops at 6 days
- 0.30 oz Northdown hops at 8 days
BJCP Style : Irish Extra Stout
Anticipated ABV : 5.8%
Anticipated IBU : 45
Anticipated SRM : 36
Pre-boil SG : 1.043
Original SG : 1.057
Target SG : 1,013
Brewhouse (in)efficiency : 69%
- If you don’t want to do the mash steps, do the whole mash at 152F for 75 minutes, then skip to the part about lifting the bag out.
- Prepare 6.1L strike water, 122F.
- Add the milled grains to the bag.
- Place the bag in the hot water, set the timer for 15 minutes, and maintain the temperature at 122F.
- Stir occasionally.
- Calibrate the sonic screwdriver.
- Raise the temperature to 145F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 158F, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Lift the bag out of the water, and allow it to drip into the pot. Every bit of sugar that can be extracted will benefit the end ABV.
- Bring up to a boil, 212F, set the timer for 30 minutes. Add hops, sugar, and Irish moss, as prescribed above.
- Sanitise everything required for fermentation.
- Cool to room temp, an ice-bath or a snowbank work effectively.
- Prepare the yeast mixture.
- Pitch the yeast to the carboy
- Transfer the wort to the carboy, splash the wort around to aerate the contents.
- Store in a cool dark place for primary fermentation for 10-14 days.
- Dry hop as prescribed above
- Detailed instructions.
- Prepare 0.8 oz corn sugar.
- Bottle condition at least 4 weeks.
- Hit the pre-boil gravity, post boil gravity was 1.059, anticipated ABV 6%.
Brew day : 28-Jan-2023
Bottling day :